Pools and swimming are fun pastimes all over the world for both animals and humans. Increase your knowledge and impress your friends and family with these fun facts about swimming and swimming pools.
- Elephants can swim up to 20 miles a day and when they swim they use their trunks as natural snorkels.
- 65% of people in the United States do not know how to swim—they are missing out!
- An hour of vigorous swimming burns off up to 650 calories—that is more calories than an hour of walking or riding your bike!
- Swimming simultaneously reduces stress, strengthens the heart and lungs, and works out all of the body’s major muscles.
- Swimming is ideal for physical therapy and rehabilitation because water’s buoyancy provides for low-impact exercise.
- The slowest Olympic swim stroke is the breaststroke, while the fastest and most efficient is the freestyle stroke. Freestyle is also the most popular stroke of the four.
- An Olympic sized pool is 50 meters long, and (depending on its size) it can hold 700,000 to 850,000 gallons of water!
- You should make sure to stay hydrated when you swim because your body actually does sweat when you swim, you just do not realize it because you are already wet!
- Swimming is such good exercise because the resistance of water is over 10 times the resistance of the air.
- Modern swimwear is based off of sharks. Sharks have V shaped ridges on their skin, which decrease drag and turbulence, making them more efficient swimmers. Many swimwear fabrics incorporate these ridges to help swimmers get through the water faster.
Keep these fun facts about swimming and pools in mind to impress your friends at your next swimming party! Contact Clean and Clear Pools located in Alamo, Danville, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, and San Ramon for all of your California residential pool services.
Comments are closed.